Archaeobotanic Workshop provides an opportunity for biology students to learn and apply principal methodologies in archaeobotany, and prepare for the summer school and archaeological excavations at the Vela Spila site, Korčula, to be held in September 2016.
The Archaeobotanic Workshop 2016 will be held from June 13th to 17th 2016, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Practicum 8P1 room (Marulićev market 20/1) and is organized by doc.dr.sc. Renata Šoštarić (email@example.com). The workshop will be held in Croatian.
During the Archaeobotanic Workshop, participant will be:
- Briefly familiarized with the project MendTheGap (Smart Integration of Genetics with Sciences of the Past in Croatia: Minding and Mending the Gap; Horizon 2020 – Twinning 2015)
- Introduced to the archaeological site Vela Spila, Korčula
- Familiarized with the methodology of archaeological excavations and the context of the archaeobotanical samples
- taught to understand and interpret the biological-botanical samples within their archaeological context
- Introduced to the methodology of analyzing archaeobotanical samples in the field and in the laboratory
- Taught to identify most common types of carbonized plant remains
- Analyzing archaeobotanical samples from Vela Spila, and possibly, other archaeological sites
All interested students are welcome to apply for the workshop. However, the preference will be given to the students who completed and passed the Archaeobotany course. The workshop is limited to a maximum number of 10 participants. The workshop will be free for all the participants.
To apply for the workshop, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 29th 2016 with the following information:
– name and surname,
– program and years of study (with a note on completing the Archaeobotany course), and
– a brief statement of purpose, explaining why you want to participate in the workshop and eventually in the summer school/excavations on Korčula. List of participants and further information will announced on June 5th 2016.
If you would like to receive workshop announcements, please contact us (email@example.com) and ask to have your name added to the workshop announcement’s email list.